Standard 7: Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community

Focus area 7.1 Meet professional ethics and responsibilities

Understand and apply the key principles described in the codes of ethics and conduct for the teaching profession.

Focus area 7.2 Comply with legislative, administrative and organisational requirements

Understand the relevant legislative, administrative and organisational policies and processes required for teachers according to school stage.

This year I have undertaken several activities (as a student and professionally) that have given me an understanding of the legislative, ethical, administrative and organisational requirements of teaching in a secondary school.

In my current professional role (Queensland Health) I undertake annual mandatory training including: Code of Conduct and Public Sector Ethics, Mandatory Reporting, The Health Act and Human Rights, Complaints Management Framework, Information Privacy and Fraud Control Awareness. I am very familiar with public sector accountability and my professional and administrative obligations. After watching the industry presentations as part of the coursework for EDM8004, I recognise substantial overlap in relation to these professional requirements (7.2).

The presentations that I drew the most relevant information in relation to Standards 7.2 and 7.3 were:

Specific to teaching, I researched the Code of Ethics for Teachers in Queensland, and I am aware that as a teacher in Queensland I must conduct myself according to the key principles of integrity, dignity, responsibility, respect, justice and care (7.1) (Queensland College of Teachers, n.d.). This includes maintaining professional boundaries and acting professionally at all times, mindful of the unequal power dynamic that exists between teachers and students (Queensland College of Teachers, 2019).

Whilst I have not used OneSchool yet, I am experienced using data systems to measure performance in my previous career, so I look forward to utlising the available data in the OneSchool system to understand my learners and respond to their needs (7.2).

Prior to my professional experience and volunteer placements in the Catholic, Independent and state systems, I undertook the following mandatory child protection training (7.1, 7.2):

As a result, I understand my legal obligations under Mandatory Reporting requirements (s13E of the Child Protection Act 1999), policies and procedures within individual schools in relation to disclosure and reporting, and where to seek advice or assistance in situations where I suspect that a child may be at risk.

In future, I would like to pursue further professional development around adolescent safety, particularly mental health and suicide. Approximately 15% of adolescents aged 12 to 17 years experience mental health issues, and one-in-ten report self harming (Lawrence et al., 2015). Recognising the signs and knowing how to act is important for teachers as they are often one of the few constant adults in the lives of young people. This recent Cult of Pedagogy podcast was useful in brining my attention to my obligations to students in this area. In my role as a graduate teacher I hope to further develop my knowledge and skills engaging with parents and carers (7.3) and deepening my network of educators and other professionals (mental health, social work, occupational therapy, EAL/D support), to support my students and broaden my own professional knowledge and practice (7.4).

Step 1 of 2
Please sign in first
You are on your way to create a site.