Painting 2024

‘Birdy Breakfast’ is a still life painting of an image I took while I was preparing some fruit and veg for my birds. I was struck by the sunlight passing through the bowl of Rooibos tea (see the yellow). The painting is in tones, as per the Module content, which creates a striking image.

Acrylic on Canvas

‘Commemorating Cockatiel; Adrix’ is a Tracey Keller inspired pet portrait of my deceased cockatiel Adrix. The work was created as part of the portraiture section of the Painting Module, where I chose not to do a human portrait. I started with a sketch, then an underpainting, and then Keller’s signature blocks of colour to tie it together. This work essentially served as an artist study.

Acrylic on Canvas

‘Aimless Misdirection’ is an abstract painting using the method of masking to create graphic edges and geometric designs. The work is an expression of my aimlessness, as the semester was ending and left me without direction. The end result incorporates sharp arrows going in all directions and spider webs into it to emphasise the feeling of getting lost and then being trapped.

Acrylic on Canvas