Standard 7: Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community

Focus area 7.3 Engage with the parents/carers
Understand strategies for working effectively, sensitively and confidentially with parents/carers.

Focus area 7.4 Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities
Understand the role of external professionals and community representatives in broadening teachers’ professional knowledge and practice.

During my most recent placement, I was invited to attend a Beef Cattle Handling and Judging School, organised by the local agricultural show society and beef production group. Attendees included the students I had been working with in agricultural science classes, as well as agricultural students and teachers from other schools in the district. I interacted with a wide range of school, beef industry and community representatives at the event (7.4), as well as with parents of the students (7.3). The importance of agriculture in the school and wider community is notable, in terms of providing real-world opportunities for students.

While at the event, I engaged professionally with parents of the students I had been working with (7.3). This included discussions about the cattle handling school, the importance and relevance of the event to their child’s education, and the importance of agriculture in the community (7.3). These were professional and courteous discussions, and I was able to draw on my knowledge of their students to engage professionally. Discussions also extended to teachers from other schools, as well as industry representatives such as breeders and extension officers (7.4). The importance of engaging parents has been noted through extensive research as being critical to the success of student learning (7.3) (Pendergast, 2017; Polvere & Lim, 2015). Similarly, it is critical that I develop ongoing relationships within the agriculture industry, particularly within my local community, to foster opportunities for students, provide relevant and current examples for their learning, and to demonstrate to the community the relevance of the school to career development in the industry (7.4) (Pendergast, 2017; Polvere & Lim, 2015).

These experiences are important for myself and students, as they allow for networking opportunities within the community. The students observed my commitment to their education by attending the event, and this had a positive impact on teacher-student relationships. I met community members who I will be able to call on for information and resources for students as they study animal production, and look for opportunities for work in the future (Polvere & Lim, 2015). Additionally, the students were able to observe professional, respectful and courteous interactions between adults in a non-school setting.

The opportunity of attending the Beef Cattle Handling and Judging School demonstrates to students and parents the commitment I make to the agricultural science program at school and the significance of agriculture in the community. Attending these types of events, and taking opportunities to connect with parents and industry representatives, is something I want to develop during the next 6 months, and when I commence teaching.

References

Pendergast, D. (2017). Parent and community engagement. In D. Pendergast, K. Main & N. Bahr (Eds.), Teaching Middle Years: Rethinking curriculum, pedagogy and assessment (3rd ed.). 286-298. Allen & Unwin

Polvere & Lim. (2015). Career development supporting young Australians: a literature review. https://library.bsl.org.au/jspui/bitstream/1/6033/1/PolvereLim_Career_development_supporting_young_people_lit_review_2015.pdf