Example: Advocacy and Engagement Domain

In your reflection you do not need to include the step headings or graduate attribute definitions, these are here to help guide you whilst writing your reflection.

Graduate Attributes:

A1 Ethical, engaged professionals and citizens who engage in, non-discriminatory, safe practices and consider the local, global, social, economic, legal and environmental influences on, and impact of, their attitudes and actions.

A2 Culturally capable individuals who are self-aware and sensitive to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledges and perspectives, equitable and respectful of diversity and multiculturalism, and can apply these capabilities in their professional practice.

Step 1: Setting the scene. Describing your context, problem or challenge. What did this experience involve? Was there a trigger?

In my previous roles (customer service) my experience and understanding of diversity awareness largely came from compulsory internal training sessions. My world view has been a constant and unquestioned force throughout my schooling and previous work roles which has led to unintentional assumptions in my approach to working with others. In 2021 I was seconded to a strategic project and in this new role I’ve been working to develop resources to address cultural awareness in the Professional Practice major. I realised at this point that I have never intentionally considered the diverse groups I have worked with to adjust my practice to be more inclusive or to consider different views and ways of working.

Step 2: Identify your existing skills and what needs to occur to fix the problem. This could be informal learning, non-formal sessions or independent research. Pathway to a solution. What existing knowledge did you use to identify your problem?

I set out to find additional training opportunities to help with my awareness of groups that I may be working with on the project and to help students that I will provide support to. In the past I have understood the term ‘culturally capable’ to mean that it is a capability that you can claim to master. Since starting my new role I have broadened my understanding of what it means to be culturally capable. This has occurred over time, (and will continue to) coming from a range of different training opportunities and the work that I have been involved in.

Step 3: What pathway did you take? What did you do to resolve your problem or challenge? What initiatives have you implemented?

I have recently become an institutional member of the Australian Evaluation Society (AES) and during 2021 they published a First Nations Cultural Safety Framework which I have found invaluable. This framework provides you with ten principles that you need to consider before working with First Nations people. This was specifically written by and with First Nations peoples however I can see that some of these principles could be used to help improve practice more generally. The most valuable learning is that Cultural Safety is a better term to use than culturally capable as it doesn’t imply that a person can master this, it’s presence or absence can only be determined by the consumer or client. It has also prompted me to look at my workplace Reconciliation Action Plan and to consider how I can strengthen my practice.

I have also undertaken training to become an Ally at USQ which is a visible network for those who identify as LGBTIQ+. Being an Ally signals to staff and students that my office is a safe space to come and be yourself, ask questions about your study or work and not feel like you have to hide who you are whilst seeking help. This has prompted conversations with my colleagues around what an Ally is and how they can get involved.

I recently attended an external workshop that was promoted within the Ally network to promote inclusive practices for those who identify as LGBTIQ+ and have a disability. The presenter spoke about the Magic 5 which are: 1) signal safety, 2) use inclusive language, 3) inclusive systems and processes, 4) affirm identity-celebrate and include and 5) respect.

From this training The Magic 5 has helped me to consider how I can contribute to small changes in these areas. The trauma that many people who identify as LGBTIQ+ have endured can cause hesitation to reach out for help, even if the help required has nothing to do with their identity. The Ally network provides members with a rainbow sticker and lanyard which can be used to signal that you can provide a safe space to come and ask questions. Since this external training I have also added my pronouns to my email signature block and zoom name.

In previous customer service roles, I spent a lot of time talking to students and other staff to help them with their study related questions. Until this training I hadn’t considered the use of pronouns to be so important in making a person feel valued and included. Assuming pronouns based on gender associated names or based on the way they sounded on the phone could cause offence. Since this training I am mindful of the pronouns I use for staff and students when speaking to them but also in my report writing, emails and in the processes we are creating.

Step 4: Drawing conclusions and developing future practice. What impact did your action make? Was this successful or unsuccessful? What do you plan to do from here? What were your feelings, ideas and questions about the experience?

The first step in being respectful and acknowledging cultural diversity is to have an understanding of the history and practices that make a particular group unique. The training sessions I have undertaken to date have helped me to strengthen my practices and to explore existing and emerging world views that I am yet to experience. This perspective will continue to influence my ethical and professional practice. Moving forward it will be important to implement my learnings in the reports I write, the emails I send and the processes I develop. I will continue to look for training in these areas to continue my learning and understanding of diverse groups.

Evidence to verify claims made in reflection:

example: position descriptions, letters or testimonials from employers, social media links, examples of work (reports, presentations etc)