About me

My name is Myles and I want to be an educator. At the end of 2021, I completed my Masters of Learning and Teaching (Primary) with the University of Southern Queensland. It has been a long time coming – having completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism and an MBA with the Queensland University of Technology, but I have been been resolute in my decision to pursue a degree in education owing to a passion to teach and an affinity with young children. It is my ambition to have my own class within the range of grades 1 to 3 not too long after graduation.

I have had the privilege of completing placements various State Schools. I also elected to do a year of volunteering hoping to hone my abilities and familiarity with a classroom setting. My mentors have all been incredibly supportive, but also appreciative of the help and difference I bring to the classroom. It is with no small amount of delight I’m greeted with an enthusiastic “It’s Mr Smith!” when attending various classrooms about the school. Volunteering has been an excellent, life-changing decision – affording me opportunities for learning, growth and challenge.

As an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) individual myself, I know first hand many of the struggles associated with this developmental disorder. I like to think this affords me an empathetic perspective when approaching ASD students in my classes, and I’m particularly motivated to develop my understanding of ASD, and best-practice approaches to managing their learning.

April Is Autism Awareness Month – this is the Autism Spectrum Disorder Ribbon

I’m more than just an aspiring teacher. I’m a pianist of 24 years. Lover of all things international, having done a not-insignificant amount of travel myself. I love animals, and it can be tough to get me to stop talking about them when I get started. I’m a vocal supporter for human and civil rights, be they LGBTQ+, gender and identity or racial. I also love to dabble in drawing, papercraft and cooking when the moment finds me. All these passions invariably slip into my classroom, be they my love for music, or my unflinching support for equality and representation.

Thank you for visiting my portfolio. Please have a look at the anecdotes in the Professional Standards drop-down menus, the additional resources archived under Resources, or get in touch at mylespsmith@gmail.com

Step 1 of 2
Please sign in first
You are on your way to create a site.