Standard 4: Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments

Focus area 4.1 – Support student participation

Identify strategies to support inclusive student participation and engagement in classroom activities.

Focus area 4.2 – Manage classroom activities

Demonstrate the capacity to organise classroom activities and provide clear directions.

Focus area 4.3 – Manage challenging behaviour

Demonstrate knowledge of practical approaches to manage challenging behaviour.

Whilst on professional experience with a Prep class at a school within the Brisbane Metropolitan Region, I had the opportunity to observe my supervising teacher (ST) to identify the strategies she used to establish an inclusive and engaging learning environment (4.1). During my time with the class, I demonstrated my capacity to organise classroom activities (4.2) and my ability to effectively manage challenging behaviour, through my implementation of a positive and proactive approach (4.3).

At the beginning of my placement, I observed and identified a number of practical approaches my ST employed to successfully manage classroom behaviour (4.3). I found during my own teaching that the gaining attention strategies, such as the Listening Song (Artefact 13), were the most effective in capturing my students’ attention and promoting on-task behaviour. For instance, when the class came in after lunch and sat themselves down on the mat, I initiated the song to refocus their attention and promote their readiness to learn (Peel & McLennan, 2019). I chose this strategy over the use of a verbal countdown, as it is a fun and interactive approach that appeals to the crucial role play-based learning has in helping children master necessary behaviour skills during the early childhood years (Biddle et al., 2013). To support inclusive student participation and engagement within the classroom (4.1), I utilised the pre-existing class name sticks during whole-group activities to ensure all students were able to participate equally and fully within the learning environment. During a science lesson on how animals move, to heighten student engagement and to ensure fairness in selecting students to complete the sorting and identifying activity (Artefact 14), I decided to randomly choose names rather than asking students to raise their hands (Sondergeld et al., 2010). Furthermore, to effectively manage classroom activities, I commenced each lesson with the students sitting on the class mat (4.2). This enabled me to explicitly establish their learning goals and talk through the lesson overview before providing clear directions for the next task or transition (Department of Education and Training, 2020a).

As evident in my science lesson, using class name sticks allowed me to provide every student with an opportunity to respond and achieve the lesson’s learning objectives, ultimately resulting in increased levels of whole-class engagement (4.1) (Artefact 14) (Harbour et al., 2015). In relation to my capacity to effectively manage the learning environment (4.2), my ability to reinforce and utilise existing practices received an exceeding skills and knowledge score from my ST (Artefact 15). Additionally, my interactive and proactive approach to managing classroom behaviour allowed me to apply supportive strategies in a positive way, resulting in increased on-task behaviour (4.3).

Reflecting on my teaching practice from my professional placements, I feel it is important to increase my confidence in reinforcing school and system policies in relation to student well-being and safety (4.4). As I work towards completing my GTPA, I will aim to identify appropriate strategies and establish a better understanding of how I can safely, responsibly and ethically integrate Information and Communication Technology (ICT) into my learning and teaching (4.5). I will look to achieve this by reinforcing the importance of responsible online behaviour with my students before they engage in a virtual learning environment.

Artefacts

References

Biddle, K., Garcia-Nevarez, A., Roundtree Henderson, W., & Valero-Kerrick, A. (2013). Early childhood education: Becoming a professional (1st ed.). SAGE Publications Inc.

Department of Education and Training. (2020a). High impact teaching strategies: Excellence in teaching and learning. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved on September 16, 2021, from https://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/school/teachers/support/high-impact-teaching-strategies.pdf

Harbour, K., Evanovich, L., Sweigart, C., & Hughes, L. (2015). A brief review of effective teaching practices that maximise student engagement. Preventing School Failure: Alternative Education for Children and Youth. 59(1). 5-13. https://doi-org.ezproxy.usq.edu.au/10.1080/1045988X.2014.919136.

Peel, K., & McLennan, B. (2019). Promoting pro-social behaviour. In D. Pendergast & K. Main (Eds.) Teaching primary years: Rethinking curriculum, pedagogy and assessment (pp. 372-399). Allen & Unwin.

Sondergeld, T., Bell., C., & Leusner, D. (2010). Understanding how teachers engage in formative assessment. Teaching & Learning. 24(2). 72-86. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/300133987_Understanding_how_teachers_engage_in_formative_assessment