Standard 7: Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community

Focus area 7.2 – Comply with legislative, administrative and organisational requirements

Understand the relevant legislative, administrative and organisational policies and processes required for teachers according to school stage.

Focus area 7.3 – Engage with the parents/carers

Understand strategies for working effectively, sensitively and confidentially with parents/carers.

I teach children aged between 5 and 14 at a local dance school within the Brisbane Bayside area. The dance school has a number of legislative, administrative and organisational policies and processes that I need to adhere to and comply with to ensure safe dance practice and risk management (7.2). Additionally, I regularly engage in teacher-parent communication to promote collaborative and communicative relationships with my student’s parents/carers (7.3).

I have employed a number of strategies that I use within my teaching role at the dance school to effectively engage with the parents/carers of my students (7.3). At the beginning of the year, to establish an open channel of communication, I make myself available at reception before and after each class to introduce myself and answer any questions (Department of Education, 2020). Furthermore, to involve the parents/carers in the learning process, I frequently provide them with feedback on their child’s progress within class (Department of Education and Training, 2020b). This is illustrated in the communication record (Artefact 26), whereby I have reached out to the parents/carers to express my appreciation for the commitment and hard work their child has displayed. Finally, there have been occasions where I have had to engage in sensitive and confidential conversations regarding their child’s behaviour in class. In these circumstances, I have approached the parents to privately speak with them in a calm, warm and open manner, away from other families (Education Services Australia, 2019). To adhere to the legislative, administrative and organisational requirements of the dance school, I take part in annual professional learning that aligns with my professional obligations and teacher accountability (7.2). For instance, it is a mandatory requirement that I complete CPR and first aid refresher courses (Artefact 27) every year to ensure I adhere to the Safe Dance practice guidelines of Australia (Ausdance National, 2011).

The strategies I have employed to work effectively, sensitively and confidentially with parents/carers have enabled me to build rapport, engage in open and honest conversations, and establish friendly and positive parent-teacher relationships (7.3). This is illustrated in the feedback I have received from parents (Artefact 28), that stated I am a “wonderfully supportive teacher” with a “patient and skilled teaching method.” The staff training and professional learning I have engaged in have resulted in my understanding and compliance of the legislative, administrative and organisational requirements of the dance school. Being explicitly aware of my professional obligations as a dance teacher and the risks associated with working with children has enabled me to create a safe environment that protects and nurtures all my students (Ausdance National, 2013).

Due to the restrictions that have been in place for parents/carers entering the school on both of my professional placements, I have not had the opportunity to establish relationships and work effectively, sensitively and confidentially. Moving forward and focusing on my career as a graduate teacher, I want to utilise the same strategies I have used within my role as a dance teacher and apply these to engage with the parents/carers of my students within my classroom (7.3). Furthermore, as I begin my teaching career I feel it is imperative that I work towards building strong and positive relationships with community representatives, and engage with professional teaching networks, to broaden my overall professional knowledge and practice (7.4).

Artefacts

References

Ausdance National. (2011). Safe dance practice. Retrieved on September 11, 2021, from https://ausdance.org.au/articles/details/safe-dance-practice

Ausdance National. (2013). Child safe dance practices. Retrieved on September 11, 2021, from https://ausdance.org.au/articles/details/child-safe-dance

Department of Education. (2020). Building positive relationships: New year tips for teachers. Queensland Government. Retrieved on September 11, 2021, from https://teach.qld.gov.au/latest-articles/building-positive-relationships-new-year-tips-for-teachers

Department of Education and Training. (2020b). Feedback and reporting. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved on September 11, 2021, from https://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/teachingresources/practice/Pages/insight-feedback.aspx

Education Services Australia. (2019). Talking about sensitive topics with your child and the school. Retrieved on September 11, 2021, from https://studentwellbeinghub.edu.au/media/9829/swh_parent_sensitive_topics_accessible.pdf