Standard 6: Engage in professional learning

Focus area 6.2 – Engage in professional learning and improve practice

Understand the relevant and appropriate sources of professional learning for teachers.

Focus area 6.3 – Engage with colleagues and improve practice

Seek and apply constructive feedback from supervisors and teachers to improve teaching practices.

Over the duration of my Masters degree thus far, I have constantly looked for opportunities to engage in professional learning to improve my teaching practice as I move towards graduation (6.2). This high level of commitment has extended into my professional placements, where I have actively sought out and applied constructive feedback from my supervising teachers (ST)s to improve my overall approach to teaching (6.3).

To improve my professional learning throughout my degree, I have actively engaged in online course forums to further my understanding of the course content, to provide feedback to my colleagues, and to receive constructive feedback for my own learning (6.2). As evident in the forum post responses (Artefact 20), I have provided individualised feedback to my colleagues and received my own constructive feedback in relation to improvements we can make to the writing of our assignment task. Engaging in reflective processes such as collaborative feedback play a vital role in professional learning, as it cultivates a community of practice that essentially supports and enhances my continuous professional development (Daniel et al., 2013). To extend on my practice in specific learning and teaching areas, I chose to complete a short course, ‘ADHD for Parents’, (Artefact 21), as I had experienced a number of challenges whilst teaching a Year 6 student diagnosed with ADHD. Furthermore, during both of my professional placements, I have explicitly asked my STs to observe my teaching practice and provide me with constructive feedback (6.3). After each observation, I would consult with my ST to actively discuss, analyse and interpret the feedback (Artefact 22), before acting upon it for subsequent lessons. Engaging in systematic and meaningful feedback was crucial as it supported me to make appropriate pedagogical decisions that ultimately informed my future teaching (Anast-May et al., 2011).

Seeking and applying constructive feedback with my STs (6.3) resulted in my capacity to adapt my planning so I could successfully meet the individual needs and achieve the learning outcomes for my students (Anast-May et al., 2011). My professionalism in seeking and receiving constructive feedback whilst on professional placement was acknowledged by my STs, with both of them awarding me an exceeding skills and knowledge score for ASPT 6.3 on my Final Report (Artefact 23). Additionally, my continuous and meaningful engagement in professional learning with my colleagues (6.2) resulted in a personal commendation from Dr Susan Carter, the Program Director for the MPLT degree (Artefact 24). In an email addressed to myself, she congratulated me on my work ethic, highlighting “my excellent course engagement” and the positive attitude I displayed in my interactions with other students on the StudyDesk.

As I move towards becoming a graduate teacher, I understand the crucial role my ongoing professional learning will have on my overall career development (6.4). To improve my students’ learning outcomes, I will take advantage of any additional training and professional development that is offered or that I find to be relevant, so I feel prepared for my first year of teaching. In the lead up to my final semester, I will look to complete the Beginning Teaching Learning Suite (Artefact 25), on top of my GTPA to ensure I meet the standard requirements for continued professional learning.

Artefacts

References

Anast-May, L., Penick, D., Schroyer, R., & Howell, A. (2011). Teacher conferencing and feedback: Necessary but missing! International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation. 6(2). 1-7. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ973835

Daniel, G., Auhl, G., & Hastings, W. (2013). Collaborative feedback and reflection for professional growth: Preparing first-year pre-service teachers for participation in the community of practice. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education. 41(2). 159-172. https://doi-org.ezproxy.usq.edu.au/10.1080/1359866X.2013.777025